WEEK FOUR

Tulpanbukett i vittImage from page 506 of "Norway, Sweden, and Denmark: with excursions to Iceland and Spitzbergen ; handbook for travellers" (1909)

The first month of this year is unusually warm in Oslo, but with the characteristic gray skies and icy gravel strewn streets of most Nordic urban winter days. I linger in the midwinter darkness, the cozy feel of wool blankets and resist the urge to welcome spring too soon. In a week or so I will begin to introduce white and green in the home again, to welcome the light. But not quite yet.

In the desperate attempt to declutter prior to a move six years ago I threw away the old maps I'd been saving to have framed.  I'd torn out the original print from a book in an even earlier attempt to declutter. This was one of those maps, printed in 1909, and I miss it terribly. Perhaps it is time to admit to myself that I never grew up. I am one still of those who adore the treasures others call clutter.

IMAGES FROM TOP TO BOTTOM: BLOMSTERFRAMJANDET, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, USED WITH PERMISSION. MAP OF STOCKHOLM FROM THE INTERNET BOOK ARCHIVE 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar